Is your mattress too firm?
Are you an older person? then it may be causing sleep challenges. At least this is what research conducted by the Brazilian Association of Sleep has found.
Elderly ‘subjects’ that slept on high firmness rated mattresses took an average of 67 minutes to fall asleep. When these people switched to a medium firm mattress, they took only 21 minutes to fall asleep.
Age is a factor
As we age, we often acquire various ailments and chronic problems. These range from autoimmune, various injuries racked up along our journey in life or other diseases. In fact, 62% of adults aged 65-74 and and 81.5% of those over the age of 85 years old had two or more chronic conditions.
Plan for Changes
Given this, it means that as we age, we need to plan for these changes in our body so that we are able to get the proper amount of sleep required. Maybe you’ve liked firm mattresses through your adult life but haven’t been sleeping well…? It could be time to look at a new softer mattress.
Customize Firmness Side-to-Side
But what if you need a softer mattress and your spouse sleeps great on the current firm one you have? At Fawcett, we have options. We’ve got something called our no compromise mattress. With our latex core models such as the M1 and M9, we can create a softer mattress on one side, and a firmer mattress on the other side. Even better, we’ll customize your mattress like this for no additional fee.
Some Mattress Tips
As we get older, our bodies change and what used to be comfortable, may not be now. Here are a few other tips courtesy of comfort keepers to get the best night’s sleep possible for older adults:
- Make sure you follow a regular sleeping schedule, going to bed and rising at the same time each day.
- Avoid taking long or frequent naps during the day.
- Make sure you get regular exercise!
- Sit in natural light; it regulates the body’s sleep-wake cycle.
- Minimize caffeine and alcohol.
- Make sure your bed is for sleeping only. If you’re unable to fall asleep in 15 minutes, get up, move to a chair and try another activity.