As adults, we’re (sometimes acutely) aware that stress can cause a lack of sleep for us. But what about our children? Do they actually lose sleep from worrying about things?
Unfortunately, lack of sleep due to stress isn’t exclusive to adults. 20% of kids aged 8 to 17 say they worry a lot. Anxiety can lead to a lack of sleep and higher levels of cortisol (not good for our bodies/system with over extended periods of time).
- You can help your child manage stress and anxiety by spending calm, family time together.
- Help your child manage their anxiety VS trying to eliminate it.
- Don’t avoid things just because they cause anxiety.
- Express positive, but realistic expectations.
- Respect their feelings but don’t endorse them.
- Keep it real. Don’t reinforce their fears or ask leading questions.
How about physical factors?
- Get your kids outside. Well, at least get them exercising…which usually means getting them outside. It’s been demonstrated moderate to vigorous exercise can help protect your kids.
- Cut back on the sugar. Sugar stresses the body and brain and causes more damaging cortisol to enter their system.
- Choose a Fawcett Mattress – a healthy non-toxic mattress that is comfortable for your kids. We recommend the Fawcett Model 6 for children and Youths.
- Too many mattresses are full of chemicals like Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers with adverse or unknown effects on people. Don’t add these stresses to your lives!