What causes sunken eyes?
As we age, we often get dark circles under our eyes. Sometimes this can happen to younger people too. What causes sunken eyes? We came across a well researched article that uncovers some of the causes.
A number of factors can contribute to this effect officially known as “tear trough hollows”
- Age often plays a factor. It’s more prevalent in older adults. As we get older, our body has less collagen. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and a lack of it makes our eyes seem sunken.
- Nutrition & Vitamin Deficiencies
- Deficiencies in vitamin C, K and iron can cause sunken eyes. People that suffer from general malnutrition may have sunken eyes.
- Sleep Issues
- Weight Loss
- People tend to get thinner in their faces first.
- Try not to smoke for a number of reasons. It also causes a decrease in skin elasticity.
- Allergies can cause inflammation, causing dark circles.
- Sinus infections
- An injury to the face or head can cause dark circles under your eyes.
So now we know what causes sunken eyes…how about some fixes?
Some home remedies?
- Stay hydrated! Limit things that dehydrate you – caffeinated beverages, alcohol. You know, all the fun stuff. 8 – 10 glasses of water a day will help!
- Good quality sleep.
- Almond oil. Not sure where you find this, but apparently it helps as it’s high in vitamin E.
- Raw potatoes on the eyes. Yes you heard that right. Apparently it’s the vitamin C, enzymes and starch.
- Tea bags. Let them cool after making your tea and place under your eyes for 10 minutes.
- Cucumber slices. This is beginning to make me hungry. Cooling and reducing swelling.
- Fish oil. Break open the capsule and place under your eyes. Be careful not to get in your eyes 😉
- Lemon oil. Often referred to as ‘nature’s bleach’ aids in dead skin removal and discoloration. Make sure you dilute, and be extra careful not to get IN your eyes.
If all else fails, you have the home remedies provide for ingredients to make a spartan meal.
Disclaimer: We didn’t come up with these ideas or concepts and have no idea if the home remedies actually work. Reader beware! Read the article in full here.